Sunday 12 January 2014

Philippines Diary - lendwithcare in the field

As Tracey Horner, Head of Lendwithcare, travels to the Philippines post Typhoon Haiyan we follow her here ... 



DAY ONE
 
Checking-in at Heathrow Airport
Today I am going to the Philippines. And as I leave the comfort of my family and home behind, I am acutely aware of the stark contrast that awaits me as I travel to visit the families and homes of people struck by the strongest typhoon to ever hit landfall - Typhoon Haiyan (known locally as Typhoon Yolanda). I'm sure you can all remember the shock and sadness you felt as the news hit our screens in November last year that a super typhoon was smashing its way through the Philippines, destroying absolutely everything in its wake. Over the last few weeks, we ourselves have experienced the adverse affects of extreme weather and know how utterly destructive it can be and how we stand helpless in the face of it. Although the nature of my work means I have seen and heard a lot about the impact of Typhoon Haiyan over the last month or so, I have absolutely no idea what to expect and I want to share my experiences with you via this short diary.
 

My goal while away is to meet some of the 38 lendwithcare entrepreneurs living in areas devastated by Haiyan and work on a restoration plan with our local partner, SEEDFINANCE. I will be visiting the islands of Leyte and Cebu and visiting some of the worst affected areas, including Tacloban City and Ormoc City.

For news, updates and photos keep an eye on this blog and follow us on the lendwithcare Facebook page and Twitter @lendwithcare & @traceymohabir

No comments:

Post a Comment